The 'Request Content' tool is located on the Ribbon within the main Content Studio application. It serves as a collaborative communication platform to request content which may be missing from your library. Only your company has visibility of your own requests and other users are able to take ownership of the requests when they begin modelling the required content. It therefore provides progress tracking by exposing visibility of families under development, not started and completed. One powerful feature is the ability to allow other users to +1 vote-up items, adding weight and priority to components required by many users. This focuses the efforts of the BIM authors who need to prioritise development work. The Request Content platform enables the following:
- Search for items already posted by others
- +1 Vote-up items already posted by others
- Add comments 'blog-style' to existing posts to develop a wider brief
- Add attachments such as PDF's and Images to illustrate requirements or Manufacturer's design details
- Post requests of your own
- Add tags to widen search results
- Set required dates or deadlines
- 'Take It' - Assign items to yourself and mark as 'In-Progress'
- Mark complete or relinquish items
- Administer posts, edit and or remove where necessary
Opening the Request Content platform
- Launch Content Studio.
- From the Ribbon, choose Request Content
- An internet connection is required to use this tool.
Searching for Requested Content
- Type your search criteria in the field top left and hit enter
- Search results are returned.
- If a post already exists, view the post and add your own comments if necessary
- If a post doesn't already exist, create your own.
Creating a Post
- First search to see if a similar post already exists. If it doesn't, only then should you create your own post.
- Click the 'New Post +' button top right
- Provide a title for the Object's name - be descriptive (this should not be a proposed file name)
- Set your preferred Revit Category for the object
- Set a date required (Note: Currently formatting is only available dd/mm/yyyy)
- Add any tags to widen the search terms and allow others searching for similar items to find yours and vote it up the list.
- Add a description of what you require developing.
- Click the 'Attach' button to upload a PDF, Word Document or Image (Change the filter bottom right to switch between browsing for PDF and Word or Images).
- If you haven't finished creating your post but wish to save it, click 'Save Progress'. This can be accessed later from the main 'Browse Requests' dialogue box.
- If you have finished preparing your post, click 'Post Request'. Your post will now be visible for all to see within the 'Browse Requests' dialogue box.
Assigning a Post, Monitoring Progress, and Marking Complete
- To begin development of your own post or another post, first click on it to open the post.
- Once open, click the 'Take It' button at the top of the dialogue box.
- After clicking this button, the status will be marked as 'In Progress' and will change to yellow.
- You will also tagged as 'Taken By': <Your Name> to allow others to see who is developing the object.
- When you have completed the development work, You may add a comment to the bottom of the post with any details of where it has been saved, what it is called etc...
- To mark the item as 'Done', click the 'Completed' button. You will be taken back to the 'Browse Requests' dialogue box where you will now need to refresh the search before seeing the item marked as 'Done' and the colour changed to green.
- Alternatively if you have taken an item and marked it as 'In Progress' but havent had time to develop the object, you can click the 'Relinquish' button to communicate to others that it is no longer in development by you.
- Administrators can relinquish on behalf of other users in scenarios where users have left the company or are on leave etc and will no longer be developing the object(s).