The search pallet is located on the Ribbon within the Content Studio Revit plugin. It allows the user to search directly in the Content Studio library without leaving the Revit environment. It also provides extended functionality such as:
- Preview types before loading a family
- Select the preferred type for placement before loading
- Load from Type Catalogues
- Generate and view 3D DWF previews
- Open in the Family Editor
- Perform Quick searches
- Perform Advanced Searches
- Filter by Revit category
- Filter by Revit version
- Search unapproved listings as well as approved listings
Instructions for Searching
Navigate to the Content Studio tab (Revit 2014 onward), or the addins tab (Revit 2013 and earlier).
Left click the Search icon to launch the Search Pallet.
- Choose the library you prefer to search.
- Perform a quick search by typing into the search box. The results are displayed instantly
- If required, filter the results further by category and by version, then click 'Apply'
- Optionally, check the 'Display unapproved listings' to view files which exist but have not yet been approved for use.
- If a more detailed search is required, consider using the 'Advanced Search' button
Instructions for Loading from the Search Pallet
- After locating the desired file, left or right click on the row in the search results window
- If the listing is a family which contains types, choose the preferred type and Content Studio will load this as the default for placement along with all other embedded types.
- If the listing is a family with a type catalogue, choose this option to display the type catalogue list before selection and insertion into the project.
- If you prefer to open the file for review in the Family Editor, choose 'Open in Family Editor'
- To create a 3D DWF preview click 'Dwf missing. Get Dwf?' and follow the prompts. See guidance here.
- To view a 3D DWF click 'View Dwf' and open the file in internet explorer. See guidance here.
- After selecting a family type (step 1.1 or step 1.2) the search pallet is hidden from view leaving the full screen available for family placement
- If the family is placable it will appear on the cursor and you should left click to place one or more instances.
- If the family is hosted (such as a curtain wall panel family), you cannot place these. Instead, they will be loaded into the project and a confirmation will appear on screen. You can then select the existing hosted element and replace it for the newly loaded family.
- To finish placement, press escape twice to return the the search pallet.
- The search pallet will no reappear on the screen and further searches can be performed or the dialogue box can be closed.